PLEASE READ BEFORE SCROLLING DOWN TO BOOK YOUR ONLINE COURSE
LINKING WITH TEG – Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge
Coláiste na Rinne is delighted to offer new online courses for adults which reflect the TEG curriculum and materials, Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge – European Certification of proficiency in the Irish Language. TEG offers Irish language learners a pathway to proficiency starting with the beginners level A1 and progressing over six levels to the expert level of C2. SOME Irish Language Learners choose to mark their improvement by undertaking TEG exams whilst others attend our classes for the joy of learning Irish in the company of others. Coláiste na Rinne courses cater for both types of learners.
OUR LEARNER PROFILES
Coláiste na Rinne’s online courses listed below and the Coláiste’s summer immersion course (HERE ) are suitable for :
- learners new to the Irish language as well as those already on their learning journey
- learners who have a personal or a professional interest in improving their Irish
- parents / grandparents who want to help their children / grandchildren at school
- learners of any age who want to reignite a previous interest in the Irish language
- learners who live in Ireland and those from around the world
REMEMBER an interest in doing exams or gaining official certification is NOT a prerequisite for any of our courses / modules, but we do help those interested in TEG certification to achieve their goals.
Coláiste na Rinne offers Irish language classes in small group settings, for those who are:
- taking their FIRST STEPS or those at a relatively early stage on their learning journey
- IMPROVERS including those who may be interested in taking the TEG B1 exam at some stage.
Learners who already have a very high degree of fluency and are committed to perfecting their knowledge are welcome to contact the Coláiste to discuss their specific requirements. Coláiste na Rinne also offers online programmes to support certain professional curricula such as for example, that undertaken by teachers in training.
GAUGING YOUR LEVEL
Gaelchultúr offers an online test HERE which can help learners estimate their level of proficiency, however, this test does focus primarily on knowledge of grammar as opposed to ability to converse, for that reason the score may understate learners’ capacity to converse competently. The test takes between 30 and 40 minutes to complete and can be used as a guide to proficiency only.
- Learners who score around 40% or more in the Gaelchultúr test are most likely to find the content and pace of the IMPROVERS class appropriate.
- Those scoring below 35% / 40% and / or those who like to learn at a more relaxed pace may find the FIRST STEPS class more suitable.
The next series of online classes will take place over 8 consecutive Tuesdays with each class lasting 90 minutes, starting on :
Tuesday January 29th, 2019 from 7.00pm to 8.30pm (Irish Standard Time) and concludes Tuesday March 19th
and a second series of eight, 90 minute online classes starts on:
Tuesday April 9th, 2019 at 7.00pm to 8.30pm (Irish Standard Time) and concludes Tuesday May 28th
For those who wish to make consistent progress in their level of proficiency in speaking, reading and writing Irish during 2019, completing both series of online classes, followed by attendance at a one or two week IMMERSION COURSE on campus in An Rinn, from August 10th to 17th or 10th to 24th, is an option.
Completing both series of eight weeks class at the FIRST STEPS level or the IMPROVERS level, i.e. starting January and again in April is possible, as different topics and materials will be used, though some key areas will be repeated, as repetition is central to the learning process. Alternatively some FIRST STEPS participants may choose to move on to the IMPROVERS class. Classes are tailored, as far as possible, to reflect the needs and pace of the class participants.
Classes will take place subject to demand.
- Select course
- Apply online