Bígí Linn | September 2016 to May 2017 or NEW ONE TERM option
Seamus Heaney, File | Poet.
*** One term option (September – December) now available due to demand.
OPEN MORNING – Sat, 4th March 11am – 1pm
Who should apply?
This co-ed TY programme is ideally suited to students who have a working knowledge of the Irish language and who have a genuine interest in the Irish Language and Irish Culture. It will particularly benefit students aiming for a strong Leaving Certificate result in Irish and for students wishing to pursue a career in education, law, journalism, media and translation services.
Oiriúnach do dhaltaí gur suim leo an Ghaeilge agus an cultúr Gaelach agus go háirithe iad siúd gur mhaith leo oibriú sna réimsí a leanas: oideachas, dlí, na meáin, iriseoireacht agus aistriúchán.
Ionad an Chúrsa | Course Location
Coláiste na Rinne, established in 1905, is an Irish Language College in the Waterford Gaeltacht which provides:
- a secure and caring boarding-school environment,
- an opportunity to learn Irish in a natural setting,
- students are immersed in the Irish language using a gradual and measured approach producing successful results.
Meánscoil San Nioclás, established in 1959, is an Irish Language Secondary school, situated 1 mile from Coláiste na Rinne, providing
- a high standard of education, including a wide range of extra-curricular activities.
- a comprehensive Transition Year Programme.
Students will board at Coláiste na Rinne which will provide the location for day time tuition and after-school activities. Participants will be registered as students of Meánscoil San Nioclás which will coordinate their Transition Year Programme.
Application Process and Fees
Students can apply online now and pay a deposit of €1000. Applicants will be invited to attend an informal interview and will be required to bring a reference from their current school and recent school reports.
The all inclusive fee is €6750 and is payable in three installments, in advance. The fee includes full board (5 nights accommodation [Sunday to Thursday inclusive] meals, tuition, extra-curricular activities and excursions.
Full Year Option: Successful applicants can secure their places with a deposit of €1,000 on or before May 1st. Thereafter, the balance of the course fees will be invoiced on September 1st €1250 and subsequently €2250 in November 2016 and €2250 in March 2017.
Term Option: Deposit of €1000 required by May 1st with the balance of fees, €2,500 due in September 2016.
Other Information | Breis Eolais
- Successful applicants will have the option of attending our July or August summer courses in Coláiste na Rinne with a 50% reduction on summer course fee (reduction will be deducted from TY deposit to Coláiste).
- There will be one class as part of this inaugural co-ed transition year
- A gradual and encouraging approach will help the students to learn the Irish language.
“Tá an Ghaeilge fíor-luachmhar dúinne, ní amháin toisc gurb í teanga ár n-oidhreacht agus ár stair í, ach ina theannta sin, gurb inti atá ceann den iomad slite éagsúla le maireachtáil sa saol seo, le léargas a bheith againn ar an saol sin, agus leis an saol sin a chur i bhfocail.”
Micheál D. Ó hUigínn, Uachtarán na hÉireann
“Not to learn Irish is to miss the opportunity of understanding what life in this country has meant and could mean in a better future. It is to cut oneself off from ways of being at home”.
Seamus Heaney, file.