De Hindeberg Library launched – May 2015
18 July 2015
Uachtarán na hEireann Micheál D. Ó hUigínn was the special guest of honour at the official launch of the Hindeberg Library at Coláiste na Rinne, An Rinn, Co. Waterford on Monday, May 11th.The library, situated in the main building of the 25 acre campus at Coláiste na Rinne contains a collection of manuscripts and books which were bequeathed to the College by one of its esteemed founders Rev. Dr. Richard Henebry (1863 – 1916). Rev. Dr. Risteard de Hindeberg (Richard Henebry) was an Irish priest, educator, Irish language activist, musician, collector, and author. He was born in 1863 in Portlaw, to an Irish-speaking family and was educated in St. John's College, Waterford and in St. Patrick's College, Maynooth and was ordained at All Hallows College in 1892. Following his ordination he worked in the UK, Germany and the US. The National University of Ireland was established in 1908 and Dr. Hindeberg was appointed the first professor of Celtic Studies in University College Cork.Dr. Hindeberg contributed significantly to the establishment of Coláiste na Rinne in 1909 and entrusted his precious books and manuscripts to the Coláiste when he died in 1916. He is buried at Carrickbeg, County Waterford. Following his uncle’s example, Dr Piaras Henebry also devoted his life to the study and promotion of the Irish language. A collection of tapes comprising several hundred hours of speech and songs from eloquent Déise speakers produced by Dr Piaras were also donated to the Coláiste. Dr. Míchéal O Drisleáin has in recent years catalogued the audio materials and made excerpts from these treasures available on CD.